General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

changing brake light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Default changing brake light bulb

1989 vette
Underneath top of glass hatchback has 2 star shaped bolts that I assume has to be taken out to get to the brake light bulbs. Is this correct and does anyone know the size of star wrench I need. The hard top star wrench is to big. Also, the red lense cover, for the bulbs, has a small slot (about the size for a flat screwdriver to fit in) located on the bottom in the middle of lense. I tried going this route but was afraid of breaking red plastic cover. Just wondering if slot is for getting to bulbs this way. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mike

Old 05-28-2007, 06:44 PM
cwb
Default RE: changing brake light bulb

ORIGINAL: mrg404

1989 vette
Underneath top of glass hatchback has 2 star shaped bolts that I assume has to be taken out to get to the brake light bulbs. Is this correct and does anyone know the size of star wrench I need. The hard top star wrench is to big. Also, the red lense cover, for the bulbs, has a small slot (about the size for a flat screwdriver to fit in) located on the bottom in the middle of lense. I tried going this route but was afraid of breaking red plastic cover. Just wondering if slot is for getting to bulbs this way. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Mike
If you own a c4, you should own a set of torx head sockets. Your gasket might be binding if it doesn't remove freely.

You can get away with using a hex/allen wrench, but for load-bearing bolts, that's a no-go.

You might need a new gasket when re-assembling...