General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Engine Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 08:33 AM
Default Engine Build

Hay everybody! I have a 2000 C5 with about 81,000 miles on it. I drive it everyday and yesterday I looked at the mileage and started thinking about building an engine for it now while I'm still going on this one.

Anybody know of a GREAT book on how to build an LS1 engine from the ground up?What I don'twant to do is buy a built engine, I want to build it myself. Also, I want to know what combinations to use for a supercharger for max boost and what drivetrain reinforcements I'll need. I'd like to stick with the LS1 so that what parts I have on my current motor will still be compatible with what I build, including the supercharger I'll be putting on in the future. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-01-2007, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Engine Build

Small block parts are interchangeable. The specs are the variable factor. If you can rebould an engine, the process is the basically the same for any engine.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 PM

well lets start off with how much power are you trying to make???

Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 AM

I plan to supercharge it so I would like to aim for somewhere between 600 - 800 rwhp...maybe more? This would be a long term project for me...something to sit in my garage and peacefully work on it while I'm still enjoying my C5 on its original legs. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-11-2007, 08:47 PM

well I believe that to be a "full" engine build, I would start with a used ls1 ( the complete motor) off ebay of where ever you want to get it b/c it dosnt really matter your going to replace it all any way, then after you tear it down to the block start with forged internals and an aftermarket " stronger crank" you may also want to go with a longer stroke its up to you but with a boosted motor wouldnt, go to jegs or summit to buy the the supporting rotating assembly and orshort block for your HP application( im sure you know dont scimp here on an 800 HP motor!!) you will need head work don but you dont really need aftermarket heads but the better or more flow you go with the less boost you have to run to make more power you will need to update the valve train( I would recomend asking the jegs or summit rep. for advise on that)of course mabey an ls6 intake and supporting injectors you may also want to run with stand alone engine management system but also mabey not that is your call , in my opinion it is the "right" way to do it b/c you will have more comtrol over your engine, which is very important. after that comes exhaust dont scimp on that!!!! flow is very important here also im a firm believer ina good exhaust system, ofcourse supercharger choice is very important you would probable want to run a charged air cooling system like an intercooler and a vortech belt driven supercharger b/c they make a direct bolt on unit for the right price and dont forget the better the engine is built the less boost you need to run to get the power you want and the longer you engine build is going to last you, dont forget with great power comes great drive train components you you mn6 tranny isnt made for 800 HP at all so you will need to buy an aftermarket unit and or get you "built" to handle that kind of power and your axle isnt really made for that kind of power but will handle it as long as you dont run fat meats (slicks) on your car

I hope this helps you I know its not an exact engine build but a lot of the choices like cam valves name brands are really up to the owner to make that choice based upon their education and opinion but dont make it until you are educated on the matter, this is just some "guidelines" for you to follow i dont know how much you know about engines or building them but dont build an 800 HP engine w/ out a person there that has build a LOT of engines to watch and coach you on the stuff you dont knowlike I said I hope this helps you the further you get into it the more precise i can be on what yo need and or want for your engine build

Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info 84! I'm now in the process of comparing the cost of building an engine myself or going with one like the 7.0 C5R...any input/advice from anybody regarding a performance crate motor would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!