General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Get smart!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:09 PM
cwb
Default Get smart!!!

I stress learnin' how your machine works. That way, you can figure out exactly what's wrong, without buyin' parts blind and without employin' the Fully Automatic Assault Wallet philosophy. And even if you can't fix it, you can tell the dealer what to fix, and not give him a license to go fishing. And you'll know when he's puttin' fertilizer in yer' garden. See avatar

My Jimmy (and Blazers, and Bravadas - '98 - '03 and many other GM vehicles) have an ignition solenoid in the steering column which is faulty. They issued a technical service bulletin for it. I found this out after many, many hours in an internet autoforum. Probably spent 3 weeks/40 hours researching others' posts. It was a ton of readin'.

All of the problems that this faulty part created are minor, except one. The tranny gets put into limp-home mode after a few circuit failures. Go to a shop, and they'll tell you that you need a new tranny. Because you will very soon, with the hydraulic fluid pressure cranked real high for limp-home mode.

I went to the dealer in 08/05, and told the service guys what part to replace. I forgot the TSB to show them what part it was. I thought they'd give in when I told them about it. They didn't. There's not enough time to detail the exchange, and their fake '"we don't know about it; we'll check this, and this, and this..." NO- just replace THIS part. I also forgot to tell them that GM corporate was allowing .8 hrs. to fix the faulty part for warranty repairs.

They charged $312. $83 for the part, almost 3.25 hours labor, and diagnostic charges. I griped, paid it, got some door pins and bushings ($25' worth), and left.

It was fixed. My fault even then for not makin' sure what was on the service order. (WORDS DON'T MEAN ANYTHING, EVEN IF YOU'RE KNOWLEDGEABLE. GET IT ON PAPER)!!!

Anybody ever told you, "I just got the motor rebuilt 6,000 miles ago" (to prospective buyer). Sounds great buddy! Got a receipt for the work?

Last week the part started to bail on me. I took the old repair order and TSB in to thedealer this morning. They didn't remember me. "12 months/12K miles warranty". "Did you guys use the new-designed part, or the original design part?" "What do you mean?",he said. I told him about the other repair and a TSB that was issued by GM. More ignorance. Then he asked, - get this now - "Wheredid you get the TSB?" I was waitin' for that... "Yes, I got one", I said very emphatically. What difference does it make if I got it from Ho Chi Mihn, Donald Duck, or a chartreuse leprechaun???

He asked, "You get it off the internet?" I still didn't answer.Finally, he went to the TSB index, after Iwent out to the car and got my old one, and the old repair order. I asked about a price break on another repair. I knew the answer before he responded. Then I tried to get the shop procedure printed out for the repair, to do it myself. Can't help ya' there either, buddy.

I talked with the dealer GM for a few minutes. "Just give me the printout of the procedure?", in a nice tone of voice, (the whole time there...). "You want the service manual?" NO[sm=icon_flaming.gif]"Lemme' make a call...", he said.

Have a good day guys.

I'm lookin' for another truck right now. Guess where Iain't gonna'look???

Get smart. Start readin' about your machine. Stop wastin' $$$ on hit-or-miss repairs and parts. You think anyone else is gonna' look out for your wallet?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Get smart!!!

A good point ya make there, and that's exactly why CF is such a great place to hang out. We pool our knowledge and try to share with those in need of a little direction. I, for one, have gotten a lot of help here.
I was just thinkin', how many years of combined experience do ya think we have goin' for us? I bet a couple of hundred, at least.