General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Over heating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Default Over heating?

Just joined today major wierd problems here, want to get the a/c working but need to figure out my cooling problem first as it seems to overheat even faster when running a/c, seems like an air flow problem kinda cause over heats fastest when idling, but will also over heat if going too fast ( just takes alot longer) seems to like 33 to 65 miles per hour and is fine in the cooler months. but in the summer I cant drive the car! I have a new motor new 6 speed tranny, new thermostat, new hoses both primary and aux fans are new ( high flow cyclone fan in front) new heater core, sent the radiator and condensor out for test and repair ( my problem might be here but not sure) maybe they closed off some cores? any help would be greatly appreciated I am sure I either did ar tried more but not coming to mind at the moment oh I did try the timing also, oh and I have had the car 4 years and have since did all the above things to the vehicle but this car had the same problem when I got it ( bought it in winter time of course! ) so didnt notice a problem till the next summer anyways nothing I have dont has changed a thing no better no worse not even enough to notice a slight change, wierd huh? thanks again for any help!
P.S. dont know how hot it will relly get but doesnt want to ever stop climbing, after putting an correct radiator cap it seems to blow out coolant at about 250 degrees (before was 240 degrees) SO if 232 degrees is normal operating temperature if I shut my car down at 232 degrees it will climb to 250 degrees and overflow the reservoir before it starts cooling back down, oh the primary fan system quit working so it is wired to the key could it be that the fan isnt running anymore after I shut the car off that could cause it to keep climbing? or do the fans supposed to run when the key is off?

Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
cwb
Default RE: Over heating?

ORIGINAL: Bigjons86vet

Just joined today major wierd problems here, want to get the a/c working but need to figure out my cooling problem first as it seems to overheat even faster when running a/c, seems like an air flow problem kinda cause over heats fastest when idling, but will also over heat if going too fast ( just takes alot longer) seems to like 33 to 65 miles per hour and is fine in the cooler months. but in the summer I cant drive the car! I have a new motor new 6 speed tranny, new thermostat, new hoses both primary and aux fans are new ( high flow cyclone fan in front) new heater core, sent the radiator and condensor out for test and repair ( my problem might be here but not sure) maybe they closed off some cores? any help would be greatly appreciated I am sure I either did ar tried more but not coming to mind at the moment oh I did try the timing also, oh and I have had the car 4 years and have since did all the above things to the vehicle but this car had the same problem when I got it ( bought it in winter time of course! ) so didnt notice a problem till the next summer anyways nothing I have dont has changed a thing no better no worse not even enough to notice a slight change, wierd huh? thanks again for any help!
P.S. dont know how hot it will relly get but doesnt want to ever stop climbing, after putting an correct radiator cap it seems to blow out coolant at about 250 degrees (before was 240 degrees) SO if 232 degrees is normal operating temperature if I shut my car down at 232 degrees it will climb to 250 degrees and overflow the reservoir before it starts cooling back down, oh the primary fan system quit working so it is wired to the key could it be that the fan isnt running anymore after I shut the car off that could cause it to keep climbing? or do the fans supposed to run when the key is off?
Lotsa' new stuff there, bigjons...

With all that new stuff, first thing I'm thinkin' is the thermostat is upside down in the housing. Possibly a hose is misrouted.

Next time on the road, turn your heat to the MAX, fan to the MAX. If temp goes down, you got at least some flow through the heater core. If it doesn't go down, then you don't have flow in the heater core, and I bet the thermostat is upside down.

Welcome into the forums.

Multiple paragraphs are allowed, even encouraged, in posts[sm=smiley20.gif].

Old 07-07-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks yeah one of the things I forgot to mention I changed the thermostat probaly 4 times trying different temp ratings to no avail other than the 190 does seem to keep it from overheating quite as quick as a cooler or hotter one.but it is in correctly. and yes turning on the heater (which sucks when its 115 degrees outside!) did manage to slow down the overheating process considerably!

Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

115*? That'll do it. We've been hoverin' around 100 to 105 for over a week, here in Reno, Nv.
You can go to your local parts store and get a water treatment. One brand is called "Water Wetter", or "Wetter Water", somethin' like that. These treatments do seem to help, sometimes as much as 20* to 30*. Havin' a 190* stat sounds right. Check to see if your air dam, below and in front of the radiator, is either damaged or missing.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:03 PM
cwb

Could be just a lotta' bug jam in the radiator - horseflies, mosquitos, lizards, deer, flounder, ya know...

Seriously, get a hose blowing through the fins...

Get a thermometer in the heat duct, early in the morning, warm motor, heat on,tomake sure you got flow in the heat core. Then go from there...

Old 07-08-2007, 12:06 AM

I really appreciate all the advice, there seems to be alot of knowledge here unfortunately I knew my problem will not be an easy one to figure out! I forgot to mention in my first post that I do have the water treatment in there to no avail. as for the air dam or blockage it is fine the car only has about 500 miles on it since doing all the work previously mentioned and the auxillary fan was just put in today so I made sure the air dam was fine and their is no blockage looks like I am back to pulling the radiator out again and maybe just replacing it as perhaps sending it to a radiator repair shop may have not fixed the problem. anyone no where a resonably priced replacement radiator can be found I have dumped about $10000 into this car so far and funds are tapped out! LOL ( I know alot to put into a car that isnt worth that much but except for the overheating the car is now new inside and out top to bottom) Probably should have tried to iron out the overheating problem before the new motor, tranny, interior, paint etc.

Old 07-08-2007, 12:45 AM
cwb

I really appreciate all the advice, there seems to be alot of knowledge here unfortunately I knew my problem will not be an easy one to figure out! I forgot to mention in my first post that I do have the water treatment in there to no avail. as for the air dam or blockage it is fine the car only has about 500 miles on it since doing all the work previously mentioned and the auxillary fan was just put in today so I made sure the air dam was fine and their is no blockage looks like I am back to pulling the radiator out again and maybe just replacing it as perhaps sending it to a radiator repair shop may have not fixed the problem. anyone no where a resonably priced replacement radiator can be found I have dumped about $10000 into this car so far and funds are tapped out! LOL ( I know alot to put into a car that isnt worth that much but except for the overheating the car is now new inside and out top to bottom) Probably should have tried to iron out the overheating problem before the new motor, tranny, interior, paint etc.
Do you have GM Red coolant in your machine? If you do, GET IT OUT.

ANYBODY WITH GM RED, GET IT OUT, AND FORCEFLUSH WELL - VERY WELL.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:39 AM

Just regular antifreeze which brings to mind...should I be running extended life for the aluminum radiator or does it matter that much?

Old 07-08-2007, 01:50 PM

[sm=welcomesign.gif]

Any sensor codes just out of curiosity? Probably not. It sure sounds like a blockage or misroute of a hose...

Old 07-09-2007, 11:35 AM
cwb

will not be an easy one to figure out!
Water pump, water flow, thermostat.

Here's your problem:
1) Your water pump is bad.
2) You have flow blockage.
3) The thermostat is bad (same as blockage).

Cold motor. Drain and recover your coolant. Put your garden hose in the coolant hose in one place. Disconnect the coolant hose in severalOTHER places, ONE AT A TIME, to check for flow. Observe also for'jam' of any sort.

YOU WILL NEED A FLOW SCHEMATIC FOR THIS, TO MAKE SURE IT'S COMING OUT WHERE IT SHOULD. A BLOCKAGE WILL MAKE IT COME OUT IN THE WRONG PLACE. I THINK HAYNES HAS IT.

Before puttin' back in your coolant, get the residual tap water out with a shop vac. You will afterward still have air in your system. If the TPI doesn't have a air bleed nipple, get on the highway, WITH HEAT ON!!! This should bring up the air. Check on a COLD motor.

If this fails, go to a radiator shop. They'll hit your pipes with a laser, and check for in-spec coolant temps to diagnose.