General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 08:51 PM
Default Power Steering Problem

I know this is a Corvette forum site, but I am having a power steering problem with my 1998 Buick Riviera and was hoping someone could help me. The power steering went out on my C3 Corvette, but before it went out it started to wine and grawl when turning - which indicated a problem. When my power steering went out on my Riviera it made no indication of having any issues. What happened was - I started my car and turned the wheel "sharp" and it turned fine, when backing up I heard a "light snap" and my power steering went out. I thought it was my belt so I pulled forward to see if my belt was on the ground. I didn't find my belt or see any oil on the ground, so I popped the hood. My belt was in tact and there was no oil under the hood. The pully on the pump turns freely. When I went to check the oil, I noticed that the resivor, which is mounted to the pump, made a sound as if it had pressure in it "like opening a soda bottle". I talked to a couple people, one guy said it more than likely is my pump and the other guy said it could be in my rack and pinion set up. Can anyone help me? (If it matters my Riviera has a 3.8L supercharged engine w/ auto trans.)Thanks, Dan.