Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Electrical problem and power steering.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Default Electrical problem and power steering.

I tested my fuses and found out it's the one that connects to the clock/radio/passenger side door sensor.
My guess is that it's the radio since that's the only thing with complex circuitry. However, the test light is still on even after removing the fuse. It only turns off when I disconnect the alternator also. What should I do to try and fix this? Also, if I remove that fuse will that stop the electrical short, short term, until I can fully repair it?

As for the power steering. I just put in a new pump and control valve. When I put the belt on the pump the wheels go from left to right like they are possessed. Also, the fluid in the pump gets so hot that it started to bubble up from the cap and smoke. I'm guessing the pump is bad, but I'm not sure. Could it also be the valve?

Old 11-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Electrical problem and power steering.

You will need to balance the control valve.

Old 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Does balancing the control valve account for the smoking power steering fluid?

Also, by balancing you mean messing with the adjuster nut on the valve right? Also, I should clarify a bit. It's not a slow movement of right to left on the wheels. It's a crazy moving of left to right and then right to left in rapid sequence and it causes the steering wheel to go crazy too.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:42 PM

Rick, it sounds like you still have allot of air in the power steering system. Whenever you break into the hydraulics and loose fluid you need to purge the air from the entire system. If you still have the front end off the ground then you can also adjust the control valve after you purge the system. Let the car sit until the foam settles away in the pump reservoir, then if the level is low enough to see the casting of the actual pump inside the reservoir you should add fluid to cover the pump. Before you start the engine try to find the center of travel for the adjustment nut on the control valve, this is kind of "by-guess-and-by-golly" as the nut will come right off the spool if you back it off too far, just get it as close as you can to center. Now start the engine but make sure it's on a slow idle, don't hold on to the steering wheel or you might end up with broken thumbs, let the engine run for maybe 5 seconds and shut it off. Now check the level of the fluid, add some to cover the pump again if needed. Re-start again and check the fluid level as it runs, don't let the level drop to the point of sucking air in. If the level stays steady you can gently turn the wheel stop to stop but don't hit the stops hard, it will foam the fluid again, continue adding fluid and turning the wheel full travel until the level stays steady. Now the hydraulic system should be purged of air and you can adjust the control valve, again your looking for the center of adjustment, if you turn the nut one way or the other the steering will move by itself, try to adjust to the point of no movement, it will take some time to get the feel of the adjustment.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

More control valve centering info: http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/wp-co...ance18oc06.doc