New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Restoring my 68

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Restoring my 68

Dave, Kinda, It's a hi build primer, another is Dura-tec made by hawkeye industries. They work great and are relitively easy to sand. I bet I've sanded about 75-80 k gal. ofpoly-ester primers over the years. boy,..... my elbows hurt just thinkin' about that.

What does slick sand cost per gallon? dura-tec makes three different grades that I use Sanding primer, surface primer and top-coat/sealer, and they are all like 65 beans per gallon. They also make a clear gloss addative that makes them harder thus giving your color coat a longer life and better shine. One thing most people and painters don't know is that most paints will reflect or magnify the properties of the sub-strate under it.

Cheers

Old 01-24-2008, 04:27 AM

Blueshark, the cost is the same as what you are using, about 64-65 bones/gal. In talking to the guy whorestored the body he said it sands pretty easy. The only problem with my body was he had to do it twice, sanding each coat after it was applied. There were so many waves in the glass he ended up sanding 75% of the first coat and wasn't happy with the looks, so on with the second!! Best of all, there was no extra charge from the original quote!!

Old 01-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Dave, Kinda, It's a hi build primer, another is Dura-tec made by hawkeye industries. They work great and are relitively easy to sand. I bet I've sanded about 75-80 k gal. ofpoly-ester primers over the years. boy,..... my elbows hurt just thinkin' about that.
O.K., got it. I have used a skimming technique with bondo to fill waves and small dings on metal bodies. I can see where slick sand would be a good follow up to a "skim" coat.

Oh ya, I use a "long board", and not a "D.A.".

Old 01-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Watwheel, That's a good deal. the second sanding was easier than the first but still a lot of elbow grease if he used a sweat board and block.

Dave, You could get away with out the "Skimming" if you use these hi-build primers. You can spry then as much as 40-50 mills thick in one application. Long board....That's really the only way to go, we always called them "sweat boards" and for a good reason. I've even used 12', three man "sweat boards" to sand out hulls. I remember once sanding out a 12 meter(62') sailboat hull with a three man board and the kid in the middle was a little shorter and had to jump on the up stroke, LOL! I try to only use a DA with paper grits higher than 1000 on finish work.

Interesting note: That particular hull, "ThursdaysChild"was owned by a guy named Warren Luhrs of Hunter Marine,and won two BOC, single handed, around the world races and was the first vessel to break the "around the horn" record after 238? years set buy a 235 ft 6 masted frigget.

Cheers

Old 01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

40 to 50 mils? Oh ya, I gotta try that. [sm=icon_rock.gif]
[sm=jawdrop.gif]