Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

True Stories of........

Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: True Stories of........

ORIGINAL: SperasC3

Chrysler Conquest, brother to the Mitsubishi Starion. 2.6L turbo. Theyre pretty cool cars. Awesome story!
Hey thanks, like I said, it was a long time ago and I wasn't sure of the name of the car.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

Gotta do, what cha gotta do.....
A very good friend, and still is, came over to my place one evening and said, "Man, I need to get some meat for the familly". Now please understand, this was a poor familly, and what we did was not taken lightly.
We got in my 4X4 Chev. and headed out of town.
About 2 miles out, we came upon 3 deer in a meadow. Paul said to drive on by, " we'll go down the road, turn around, and come back slowly". As we're creepin up the road, he hands me the 30-30 Win, since the deer were now on my side of the road, and says, "you shoot and I'll steer the truck". I pulled up, stopped, took aim, and fired. Damn, missed. As that deer pranced away, another one bounced over, stopped in the same spot, turned his head and looked right at me. BANG!, dropped that suka like a hot rock! (head shot!)
Paul jumped out and said, "Go up the road about 100 yds., turn around, smoke a cig, and come back and pick me up". I hot boxed that cig, and drove back to where Paul was. He was leanin' on a road marker tappin' his foot. "What kept ya!" I jumped out to help him load the deer in the truck. He had already be-headed it, and gutted it. We drove back into town and went to the back door of a grocery store that belonged to some people we knew. Carried the deer inside, skinned it, used the store's elec meat saw to cut it up, wrapped the pieces in freezer wrap, put the packages in a box, and put the box in the back of my truck. We fed three poor families with that deer. I'd do it again in a heart beat! (A country boy can survive)
The total time from when we left to go huntin', till we walked back in the house with the packaged meat, was 47 min. We talk about Vettes bein' fast, now that, was fast!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 PM

You never see that kind of service anymore...

Old 09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: SperasC3

You never see that kind of service anymore...
Dude, if you were hungry, I'd do the same for you!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 PM

I am so glad we decided to do this thread! Wicked fun stories from all... keep 'em coming folks, this is great!

ORIGINAL: blueshark

oh by the way I had a 429 Torino back then too. but it wasn't a run of the mill 429. it was a NASCAR Boss with dual 600 holly double pumpers and a close ratio toploader and a 430 detroit locker "drag pac" behind it. Baddest car in 4 counties. The 383 Roadrunner didn't stand a chance. too bad it was stolen.
Ain't that the only Ford HEMI? I know they put 'em in a few of the BOSS 429 Mustangs and they were right nasty.

ORIGINAL: blueshark

here's one kinda like Lee's When I first came to TN from FL I was the assistant plant mgr. and the mgr. of R&D for a boat manufacturer here in town. about a year in to it they hired a new general mgr. they brought this guy in from a captin D's in arkasas. I guess they thought fish swim in water and boats run in water so he will do. This guy was a total a$$hole and hated me because I wouldn't just work 90hrs a week and do exactly as I was told. I guess in his mind I was uncontrolable so he was trying to find a way to fire me. up front where all the whoopdydoos parked they would put their names on there spots with cheezy mailbox letters, ya know, the gold letters with the black background. this guy's name was "Butch" one day at lunch time I went to the local hardware store and came back and replaced the "u" with an "I". they called me on the carpet and asked me why i did it. I told them "that's all I could fit, there wasn't enough room above it for the "whinny little" part". after it was over with the plant mgr. shook my hand and said "Good job"
BADA ZING!! I loved Lee's and your story here, George! Great to read. Loved it!!

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Last one for tonight......
I was headed to Reno, Nv. from Truckee, Ca. on Interstate 80, east bound, in my '70 RR. About 2 miles from the state line I was dojn' about 70 when a CHP came up from behind. He just hung with me 'till we crossed the state line, then he passed me and took off. They drove 440 intercepters back then. Anyway, I took off after him. After 7 or 8 miles at 130, he turned off at a resturaunt/sevice station. I pulled off too 'cause I needed gas. He came up to me at the pump. I just knew he was goin' to take me in for wreckless drivin'. He said," thats a fast car, kid. Don't do that in California, 'cause I'll hav'ta write you up." He then turned away and went into the coffee shop. I 'bout crapped my pants, then I remembered , we were out of his jurisdiction. Whew.....!!!
Man, talk about the good ol' days.... today, there'd be cars everywhere on the highway, and the cops'd toss ya in the hooskow and throw away the key.

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

Gotta do, what cha gotta do.....
A very good friend, and still is, came over to my place one evening and said, "Man, I need to get some meat for the familly". Now please understand, this was a poor familly, and what we did was not taken lightly.
We got in my 4X4 Chev. and headed out of town.
About 2 miles out, we came upon 3 deer in a meadow. Paul said to drive on by, " we'll go down the road, turn around, and come back slowly". As we're creepin up the road, he hands me the 30-30 Win, since the deer were now on my side of the road, and says, "you shoot and I'll steer the truck". I pulled up, stopped, took aim, and fired. Damn, missed. As that deer pranced away, another one bounced over, stopped in the same spot, turned his head and looked right at me. BANG!, dropped that suka like a hot rock! (head shot!)
Paul jumped out and said, "Go up the road about 100 yds., turn around, smoke a cig, and come back and pick me up". I hot boxed that cig, and drove back to where Paul was. He was leanin' on a road marker tappin' his foot. "What kept ya!" I jumped out to help him load the deer in the truck. He had already be-headed it, and gutted it. We drove back into town and went to the back door of a grocery store that belonged to some people we knew. Carried the deer inside, skinned it, used the store's elec meat saw to cut it up, wrapped the pieces in freezer wrap, put the packages in a box, and put the box in the back of my truck. We fed three poor families with that deer. I'd do it again in a heart beat! (A country boy can survive)
The total time from when we left to go huntin', till we walked back in the house with the packaged meat, was 47 min. We talk about Vettes bein' fast, now that, was fast!
COOL STORY, Dave! That's really really cool. That's the spirit. *hi5's Dave*

Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 PM

Oh man, I've got so many... where to start....

OK, many moons ago... I used to have (one of my 135+ cars) a 70 Duster with a 318 bottom end, but 340 heads, cam, intake, etc. She had a 4spd in her, and for a 318 she could book time OK.

For some strange reason our local police departments knew me by first name. Something about spending a lot of time together.. LOL I had lost my license, yet again, so I was having a buddy of mine drive. I'd drive to his place, pick him up, and then he'd take over the wheel from there... just to narrow the odds of gettin' caught.

So, anways, we went up island to a small town we used to always go to, about 30 miles away from here. Had a lot of friends and stuff up there, so we were always up there.

Well, this particular night, it started to snow... now, a V8, 4spd car with POSI is not the greatest snow machine... so, we decided to head to the local mall and enjoy some wobbly pops with our buddies in the parking lot. Man, talk about different times; back then up here in Canada it was no big deal really to do that, unless you got stupid.

Well, leave it to us to get stupid after downin' a couple o' frosty bevvies.

My buddy decides it would be a great idea to load the car up with as many of our buddies and some girls we didn't know, and do donuts in the snow... that lil' 318 made quite the noise as we were goin' roundy, roundy, roundy, roundy. Needless to say, we got dizzy.

Now, did my buddy who was pilotin' decide, "Hey, I'm dizzy, let's stop."?? Nope. No such thing.....

More roundy, roundy, roundy.... CRASH!!!!! Right into a lamp post!!!! Did quite the damage, too; had to limp her home that night. One of the wheels was pointin' in the distinctly wrong direction.

Anyways, sure enough, the local cops show up. I guess they heard the engine. We got a stern lecture about drinkin' etc., the usual, and were told we'd be best off goin' home.

As the cops were walking away, back to their car, we could hear them laughin' at us for bein' tanked and taking ourselves out on the ol' pole there.

I've got 1,000 more for later.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

great story Topspeed, how many times did we all do stupid things when we were kids? better yet ...how much did they cost us...geeesh!

Old 10-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

S'no story,
A Bud and I had Chev P.U.s, his a '58, mine a '62. During one big snow storm, we went out on the main drag (4 lanes) in town, about 3am. We were playin' follow the leader up and down main street. I would fish tail to the left and hold it for as far as about 50 yards at 15 mph, and my Bud would follow. Then to the right.... and finish with a 360. Kind of a slow motion ballet the full lenghth of the main drag, about 1/2 mile. We had been doing this for an hour when I noticed the local cops sitting in the shadows next to a service station, watching the whole thing. Since they had left us alone, we continued to play, doing fish tails and doughnuts for about another 30 min. A couple of days later, I saw the sheriff at the coffee shop. He said, "since there wasn't any traffic, and you guys stayed in control, the dep and I just had fun watchin' you guys." Gotta love the small town cops. More about them later.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

AH......HA!!!
Another outlaw in our midst!!!
And you come across so tame T. S.
Tell us another one!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Door to Door....and Beyond
When I worked as a brakeman on a railroad, about 8 yrs, I had a few wild things happen.
One night, about 11:30 pm, rainin' like a cow pi$$in' on a flat rock, I was working a freight hauler. We were comming up the Feather River Canyon in Ca., doin' track speed of 15 mph. A stretch of track that went through a forest.
Just as we rounded a blind turn, there in the middle of the tracks was a V-dub bug. I hollered out, "CAR !!!". The engineer set the brakes and I braced myself for the impact. We hit that Bug in the passenger side door with the coupler on the front of the engine. It shoved the door through the car, taking both front seats with it and pushing everthing out through the drivers door. After dragging the car for about 100 yrds., peeling the tires off the rims, and removing various parts, we came to a stop. The resistance to the train from hitting the car was like hitting a butterfly on your windshield.
The engineer said, "Well,..... let's go take a look." I ......did.......not.......want to look in that car. Much to my relief, no one was in the car or anywhere around.
We called our dispatcher on the radio and he sent the cops and a tow truck to the scene. It took about 3 hrs to pull the car off the front of the engine and clear the track of debris so we could go on our way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Stories of........