Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Front Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by partsman41
Jim, I think you are going to remove you bumper complete,not just the cover as Schoon did. From limited experience I would think it might be easier to realign the assembly as opposed to the cover. There will be some issues as there are numerous spacers and adjustments where the brackets hook to the frame. Try to keep all the hardware separated as to original location and you might even want to make some witness marks on the frame and the brackets with a center punch or similar tool. When you reassemble,put everything together and slowly tighten everything a little at a time watching the alignment as you go. My '79 was hit on the right front corner from the side and was pretty difficult to get back together in decent alignment after some frame straightening and bracket manipulation. Go slowly and work on any problems as they crop up. Good Luck!
Ron
Ron,
Thanks f/ the reply. I am going to remove the nose as I want to get it painted. It's in pretty good condition w/ no blemishes w/ the exception of the spider cracks when you look close. I want the front to be as clean as the rest of the car, and I do not want that paint build-up in the seam between the front nose and the fenders/front. I am going to do some motor work this summer, something I said I would not due awhile back, but I'm tired of having a clean ride that doesn't go.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.