Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

weak blower motor??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:22 AM
Default weak blower motor??

i have a problem with my 71, i jusy had every concieveable thing rebuilt and replaced on my car as far as the a/c is concerned, the tech cleaned out the leaves and the road junk from the heater box and the blower motor was replaced. the problem is, the air from the vent isnt even strong enought to blow out a candle. the blower has 4 distinct speeds but it still doesnt have any power. i dont feel any air escaping the box or behing the dash or anything that leads me to believe the car has a ductwork problem, can some one figure this out for me? i am ready to get a battery operated fan to cool it, it is that bad. i live in florida and the t-top out and window trick doesnt work all year so that isnt an option

Old 12-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Default RE: weak blower motor??

First tning thsat you have to realize is that this system is based on 1971 technology. Hence it will not work as well as today's systems. But they did work with some efficiency.

You need to do a system check for your heater,vent, & ac system. This system is 35 years old so it is conceivable that it is not working as designed. The first thing to do is to get an AIM or shop manual which shows you where the system is and what makes it work and then check it out.

The system works on a series of vacuum operated doors that determine what the airflow is- AC, heat, or fresh air. If the doors are stuck closed nothing flows. Rust, actuator failure, and seal damage cause failure here.

The duct system is a series of ducts behind the dash that direct the air. If the seals are dried and leak, or the vents are disconnected the air will not flow properly. Any of these problems will cause the system not to function.

I would go back to the shop that rebuilt the system for you. What kind of half assed job did they do if they repaired the components but never checked to see if the system worked. A repair is meant to fix the problem and not just replace parts.

Its like getting new tires and the shop doesn't put air in them. "You wanted new tires, how was I supposed to know you wanted to drive it too." They are supposed to make it work properly.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 PM

I have the same problem and was wondering if you were able to get it fixed and if so, what fixed it?

Old 10-02-2006, 01:11 PM

Tell you what I had same problem and did all of what you did but a old shade tree mechanic told me what was wrong. The problem is just what you said in your deal leaves and dirt over the years will clog your core this has to be taking out and clean. Most a/c techs don't even tell you this because they want to sell the more higher parts like dryer, compresor, and don't forget our high dollar refrigant. /That is why you don.t leave it out in th weather. Now this core is not easy to get to. But if you think your blower weak you sould also repleace it at that time. I live in Florida and this problem drove me crazy.

Old 10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
pg

Hi CrankyYank, all of the above is true, plus one more thing, the fuse in the fuse box controls low and medium speed, there is one more in line fuse on the left fender that controls high, hope that helps, keep us posted.