Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Default Wipers

I have a problem with my wipers. They worked fine until I washed the motor and now they don't work. The vaccuum door opened just fine though. I had a shop look at them and they got them to work. But, the manager said, "Ok, first you pull on the manual opener." I said wait a minute I want them to work with the stock switch like they did when I got the car. My question, does anyone have a schematic of the wiring and the vaccuum going to the unit?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

The AIM should show both. The factory shop manual shows the wiring, not sure about the vacuum.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM

First, what's an AIM? I have a book that shows chassis configs and things but I don't see the wiring. How about a good Corvette shop in Illinois?

Old 04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

AIM = Assembly Instruction Manual

Basically it's a book of the actual directions that the factory used to build your Corvette. Corvette America now has them on CD. Most aftermarket suppliers sell them and of course ebay.

Factory shop manual is available from http://www.helminc.com and the above sources.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:49 PM

My thanks. I think I will be able to troubleshoot this now. Jim

Old 04-13-2009, 12:45 PM

Do the wipers work once the door is open? There is a solenoid switch on the back of the main gauge cluster that controls the vacuum going to the actuator relay which supplies vacuum to the wiper door actuator to either open or close the door with the wiper switch. If the solenoid is operating correctly the only reason to use the door overide under the steering column is to keep the door open to change wiper blades or service the wiper transmission system. The only reason to use the wiper overide switch is to bring the blades up for maintenance.

You will have to remove the center gauge panel to see the vacuum relay unless you are double jointed and can stand on your head to see up under the dash far enough. It should have two vacuum hose fittings and two electrical conectors.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:54 PM

I got the emergency switch to open the doors by switching the green and red vaccuum lines on the thing in the engine copartment. I took apart the dash and couldn't find the solenoid. The wipers came up when the door opened and then went down to never be seen again. The switch is getting power as is the wiper motor. I am scratching my head. They used to work properly. I turned them on and they worked. Door opened and they came up. I washed the motor and they didn't work but the door opened. I took it to an interior shop and asked them to fix them. When I picked up the car they had me opening the emergency door and then turning on the wipers. I said this was a no go. Since then the wipers don't work at all except that brief period tonight. I think they rewired them and now I'm in duck soup. I think I am going to have t take it to a corvette shop and have them fix it, seems no one else knows about these cars. I live on the south side of Chicago. Any shops?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Sorry to hear that you couldn't fix it. I know on 68 and 69's the wiper vacuum solonoid is on the back of the instrument cluster to the right of the tach. There should be two wires and two vacuum hoses connected to it. You also need to check the wiper switch. But it does sound like the wiper motor may have gone south.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Hi, I'm a noobie from Alberta, but I just spent several days working on my 68 wipers and finally got everything working properly.

One mistake I kept making while sticking my mitts into crowed areas was knocking connections off of the wiring and vacuum fittings. That took most of my energy to fix my own problems. What I found most helpful was Willcox website. When you get to your model, look for a link called "Repair and Install Help", then "Supporting Documentation". And someone already mentioned that although the systems stayed mostly the same throughout the years, watch out for the minor changes that may lead you down the wrong path. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Go to: http://www.corvette-101.com This site helped me trouble shoot my system. Good f/ the vacuum head light situation, and more.