Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

'89 Coupe Electrical Short

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:27 PM
Default '89 Coupe Electrical Short

Hi! Please excuse me, this is the first time I have ever joined a forum, but I have a curious problem. There is a drain on my battery that leaves her powerless over night. Have gone through many tests and have found nothing. Fuzz panel has been gone through, unplugged anything and everything I could find under the hood, have been working on it for two weeks the drain was just over 7 amps. I let her sit for about 5 days looking for more information. When I came back to look some more, I hooked up the battery and got a big spark, and started looking around and now the draw is gone and everything working fine. WHAT THE &*%$?!? I didn't change anything and I haven't found anything other than my after market stereo system lost power to the amplifiers. When I fixed that (which was the first thing I checked to no avail) now everything is working. Has anyone else ran into the same problem? I don't feel I can trust her reliability on the road, it could happen again. and leave me stranded.

Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Default Options

I'd at least suggest putting an electrical cutoff on the battery at a minimum.
I'd be worried about having a fire start if there's enough draw on it.

Have you pulled the fuses one at a time and checked if there was a drain yet? That would be my next check.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:18 AM

You just gotta keep looking. If youve tried removing the fues one at a time without success then look for something that is unfused. Took me months but mine was in the drivers seat. I have the racing seats with the air bags and the motor to pump air into the bags would go off on it's own. It didn't happen every time but when it did it would drain it dry. Actually my wife found it. she was walking by and heard the noise and called me. I could hear the seat pump running.