Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Money pit

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Default Money pit

Hello everyone

Here's a good one. I had my transmission in my 85 rebuilt. My mechanic drove it and then checked the transmision fluid. IT WAS FULL OF COOLANT. Apparently the whole reason why the transmission went out is because of a transmission cooler breaking open. It is inside the radiator so the whole radiator had to be replaced. He did that and flushed the newly rebuilt transmission out and put fresh fluid in. This is going to cost me. I have had this car in the shop a total of 5 times since I bought it a few months ago. I guess I should just chock it up to it being a 20 year old car but it sure is a madening! I am thankful that the motor is in decent shape or seems to be I just thought i would vent[:@]. i guess the good news is that it will run cool this summer when it's 110 degrees here in Southern California. My wife is about to torch the car.

Clayton

Old 01-30-2006, 06:37 PM
Default RE: Money pit

Hey Clayton,
I can relate. My 92 is back in the shop having brain, speed sensor,and fuel level sensor replaced. Plus trying to find a short that keeps blowing the fuse to my climate control. This after I had the car in the shop last year to have dist.,wires,plugs,and that very same speed sensor replaced at the tune of $1500. Now I'm looking at a bill of about $1200. If it werent for the fact that this was my dads car I'm afraid I would have to consider selling it before all my savings is gone. Just thought I'd let you know your not the only one with the blues. On the up side its still a vette!!!!!!!!

Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Just thought I would ad to this thread by saying that I got my car back yesterday. Rebuilt transmission, new rack and pinion and a radiator. It sure is nice to have power steering again and a transmission that feels tight. All of this to the tune of 1400 bucks. I think my mechanic was good to me on this price. He is a good friend of mine and doesn't really want to take me to the cleaners. I was told that the transmission rebuild alone would have cost that much. I don't even want to know what it could have been. Thanks to good friends, right?

Clayton

Old 01-31-2006, 01:59 PM

That is good news. You should thank you mech. friend. Maybe buy him lunch. My 92 is still in the shop I get nerves the longer its there. Hours =$$$$$$$

Old 10-04-2007, 06:34 PM

I bought my 89, 2 1/2 years ago and I am very glad to know I can work on my own cars and get the satisfaction from doing and getting it done rite.I am really sure it would be a pain to take it somewhere and pay the high prices to get something fixed on a car you really enjoy. If at all possible get invest in a service/shop manual,most vette catalogs have them.If you like working on your own C-4 get one. I promise you will not regret it

Old 10-04-2007, 06:49 PM
cwb

ORIGINAL: grestmit

I bought my 89, 2 1/2 years ago and I am very glad to know I can work on my own cars and get the satisfaction from doing and getting it done rite.I am really sure it would be a pain to take it somewhere and pay the high prices to get something fixed on a car you really enjoy. If at all possible get invest in a service/shop manual,most vette catalogs have them.If you like working on your own C-4 get one. I promise you will not regret it
Good call.

Most folks would rather spray a problem with a couple of C-bills/new parts (Fully Automatic Assault Wallet [sm=shootshoot.gif][sm=violent053.gif]), and hope the problem goes away.

Welcome to the forums there...

Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM

ORIGINAL: Clayton

Just thought I would ad to this thread by saying that I got my car back yesterday. Rebuilt transmission, new rack and pinion and a radiator. It sure is nice to have power steering again and a transmission that feels tight. All of this to the tune of 1400 bucks. I think my mechanic was good to me on this price. He is a good friend of mine and doesn't really want to take me to the cleaners. I was told that the transmission rebuild alone would have cost that much. I don't even want to know what it could have been. Thanks to good friends, right?

Clayton
Your mechanic was real good to you. I had the tranny in my 92 redone in April and it alone was $1400.00