Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Possibly a newbie question..

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Default RE: Possibly a newbie question..

Not that I agree with clarkson at all... but.. for cars produced in the UK?

Ultima GTR
Jaguar Xj220
TVR's

Im sure there are other notible ones but I cant remember [8D]you would almost call the TVR's or Ultimas the british "corvette" as they are affordable for them.. from this post as I realised above, the vette was made purely with Amercans in mind, taste, culture, feel, everything.. thats why you guys "get" the car, and identify with it so much.. its just part of your raised culture and just like anything else that falls into that category. you will defend it to the bitter end

I dont think there is any other country as patriotic, when it comes to England, they are happy to sell out their cars the second something better comes along, well we dont really make sports cars so I wont comment on us [8D]

Personally I think owning a piece of American history is an awesome concept and feeling, from a country that invented the Hot-rod, the Vette is everything they are supposed to be, the things that Jeremy doesnt like about the car, are some of the same things that are attracting me Ive started hanging my arm out the window in my current daily (**** mobile) because it is easy and boring, I want excitement and a challenge, thats the Vette for me

Old 08-15-2007, 11:32 AM

I found this post on another Vette forum, and it hits the nail on the head perfectly as to my original question..

"
here's the deal, there really are no pro's other than coilover-type springs can be adjustable and their fit is more or less universal as opposed to leaf springs which only fit one car, so overall you'll have an easier time finding coilovers to fit your exact needs. As far as I know that's where the pro's end, and you will end up handling considerably worse.

GM is no dummy, they did not put "midieval ox-cart technology" into their sportscar to save money, in fact it was surely a more expensive choice. The benefits of them doing this was leaf springs create a lower center of gravity, they react a little better because one side influences the other, they're more lightweight overall and save unsprung weight, more durable, and they don't get in the way of your shocks. They have adjustable ride height, they double as an anti-roll bar, again saving unsprung weight. Just buy different leaf springs...switching to coilovers would be a serious downgrade, only do it if you need infinite spring rate adjustability.
"[/align]

Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM

I've been an engineer all my life, and appreciate good engineering. It is easy to get good performance when you use expensive machinery - double wishbone suspensions, direct-injected, five valve, double over head cam engines, widespread use of high tech materials like lithium doped aluminum, etc. It really doesn't take good engineers to make a great performing car that way, just wealthy customers: look at the Audi R8 - a great car, but then at $115K drive out, it should be.

It takes incredible engineering to provide even better performance with more basic, low cost types of designs and materials. Pushrods, mono-leaf transverse spring suspensions, etc.: it may be "stone age" but when brilliantly engineering it works, its low cost, and its low cost to maintain. GM has the best engine and chassis engineering in the world. They design everything to a tight budget (which is why a 'vette is such a bargain) and in that regard they are the best in the world.

People who look down on the Corvette are basically snobs: they insist on the pedigree designs without really understanding when and why they are needed, and they put design elements ahead of performance. I also think the snobs simply like more expensive cars.

In the end it is all about performance, and the 'vette has more for less money and anything else: that is good engineering.

I recently had the extreme pleasure of absolutely killing a modifed Porsche Turbo at the track: one of those snobs who brought his car to the track all cocky and confident, and arrogant.My poor old pushrod, transverse spring 'vetteput fifteen lengths on him in the quarter mile, with a trap speed fully17 mph higher. And I took home $5K of his money, too.

So, why do I drive an $87,000Porsche? GM may engineer great cars, but they put a really cheap interior in the 'vette -- mostly that.(I plan to look hard at the new 4LT option in the '08 vette -- might cure to only objection I have to it on a daily basis)