Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

the price of a tune up

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Default the price of a tune up

I took my 1994 vette to a shop to have plugs, wires changed, I was told the distributer cap was under the water pump and they would have to take that off to do the work..I was quoted a price of $700.00 to do the work, Is this true, is it that hard to change the plugs, wire and distrubuter cap? I have 69000 miles.
Thanks
Dale

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Ric
Default RE: the price of a tune up

Dale The thing about the opti is you really don't want to just change the cap most change the dist, water pump, and hoses and flush cooling system. the plugs and wires you could do your self but it will take some time. I think I would let the opt cap alone unless you are having big trouble. Go for the plugs wires and fuel filter.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Very good advice there RIC.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Hey,Dale.One question.....was your car running rough? With your mileage,I'm not sure you needed a tune-up,but here's my take.When I had mine('96) done,I did it ALL.By that I mean plugs,wires,the Opti unit,along with the water pump since it's actually in the way,and put in a low-temp thermostat and new starter since the original was,well,acting up.I also had the radiator flushed,the belt replaced and the tranny serviced,plus put new tensioners in because they were a tad worn,and of course,fresh Mobil-1 and filter.My car has almost 115,000 trouble-free miles and like I've always said,it's the most reliable car I've ever owned....and I've had a few.All in all it cost me about $1000 to do it all with parts and labor,but I really feel it's worth it.The point is,if you feel you need to do some maintenance a bit early,well,by all means do it!!! There's nothig in the world like a well-maintained Vette!!! Don't forget to check your brakes too!!! Your friend,Joe.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Oh,yeah,almost forgot.I also put a new fuel filter in and then installed that cold-air kit with the 3 K&N's in it,with the throttle body airfoil and the adjustable fuel pressure regulator......sorry I forgot,heh heh heh,but it's been a while since it was all done!!! Joe

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM

Great advice. Did all of that as well around 63000. Joe, just wondering how that cold air intake affected performance. Was it worth the bucks. I cut away the front of the filter box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3556/C9F8CACCEC7F4F9DA00642D324F4CA63.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

Hey,Dale.One question.....was your car running rough? With your mileage,I'm not sure you needed a tune-up,but here's my take.When I had mine('96) done,I did it ALL.By that I mean plugs,wires,the Opti unit,along with the water pump since it's actually in the way,and put in a low-temp thermostat and new starter since the original was,well,acting up.I also had the radiator flushed,the belt replaced and the tranny serviced,plus put new tensioners in because they were a tad worn,and of course,fresh Mobil-1 and filter.My car has almost 115,000 trouble-free miles and like I've always said,it's the most reliable car I've ever owned....and I've had a few.All in all it cost me about $1000 to do it all with parts and labor,but I really feel it's worth it.The point is,if you feel you need to do some maintenance a bit early,well,by all means do it!!! There's nothig in the world like a well-maintained Vette!!! Don't forget to check your brakes too!!! Your friend,Joe.
You got all that done for $1000.00? [sm=jawdrop.gif]

Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 PM

Hi,Lee.Yeah,believe it or not,for maybe a tad more than a thousand,maybe.I'm lucky my very best friend has been a mechanic for 30 years and he always takes care of me,even if the poor unfortunate and highlymisguided man doesn't really like my car,especially after we put the GS wheels on it,LOL!!!To Dave,I really like that cold-air setup.I think it may be good for at least 5 extra hp,if not a bit more,plus all you have to do with the filters after a while is clean 'em and oil 'em,and away you go.And when I shut the car off,it makes this neat (but quick) sucking sound,like even as you're shutting it off,it wants to bring all that extra air in.So yeah,it's worth it!! One more thing,how do you guys put all those smileys on your messages??? I like the one you did,Lee,with his jaw dropping,LOL!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

click the "more smiley's" link to the left of the "post reply" text box...there's a bunch of funny ones in there.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeVetteman

Hi,Lee.Yeah,believe it or not,for maybe a tad more than a thousand,maybe.I'm lucky my very best friend has been a mechanic for 30 years and he always takes care of me,even if the poor unfortunate and highlymisguided man doesn't really like my car,especially after we put the GS wheels on it,LOL!!!To Dave,I really like that cold-air setup.I think it may be good for at least 5 extra hp,if not a bit more,plus all you have to do with the filters after a while is clean 'em and oil 'em,and away you go.And when I shut the car off,it makes this neat (but quick) sucking sound,like even as you're shutting it off,it wants to bring all that extra air in.So yeah,it's worth it!! One more thing,how do you guys put all those smileys on your messages??? I like the one you did,Lee,with his jaw dropping,LOL!!!!!!!!!
The only thing is is that its not a true "cold air" setup. Its sucking in hot air from under the hood. A true cold air setup involves cutting out the from bumber for ram air.