Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Rough Idle, Pinging and Loss of Power on Acc

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Default Rough Idle, Pinging and Loss of Power on Acc

1994 LT-1, 27,000 miles, Original Owner, Garage Kept, All original except for 2 battery changes and 1 set of tires, Last battery change just before this problem started....

MyCorvette has been having a few problems lately.
1- Rough idle only when in gear
2- After bringing her up to speed, I go to accellorate and I have a loss ofpower and heavy pinging.

A friend told me that my car has sat so much that the gas has probably gone bad. I ran the tank down as much as possible and used a fuel injector cleaner on a fresh tank of gas. I have run the new tank of gas down to quarter tank. There has been no consistancy to this problem. It seems to come and go. Any suggestion would be helpful at this point...

Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Rough Idle, Pinging and Loss of Power on Acc

Sounds like you need a proffesionally done cleaning service done to you injectors.
Injectors are cleaned internally by means of a service kit that hooks up to you fuel system and uses a very potent cleaner to help dissolve carbon deposits that build up in the spray nozzle of each injector over time from engine heat cooking the fuel in the nozzle mostly from driving up with the engine hot and shutting off with the fuel having no place to go.
Fuel tank additives are for maintenance purposes and are not near as strong as the cleaner used in servicing injectors. If it was, it would eat the lining out of your tank in time. [8D]

Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 AM

Mech, ok so you think that the injectors need a professional cleaning. I also noticed this weekend that the car run good when I first start her up, as she warms up the pinging and loss of power starts, and gets worse as it warms. It also only does this in the higher gears as the RPM's come down and then go andstep on the gas again. Is there anything else that it could be beside the injector cleaning.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the loss of power is probably due to the knock sensor picking up on the detonation and the ECM retarding timing to try and alleviate the detonation. Non operational EGR system will also cause detonation. Can't remember off the top of my head whether you have a linear or vacuum controlled egr. Are you getting a SES light? Check codes to see if there are any stored in ECM. [8D]

Old 04-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Ok, I finally had the car fixed. Turned out to need a new Opti-Spark, plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter and also replaced the water pump. The car now is running as good as ever.... I washed and waxed the car yesterday and now can't wait for a nice sunny day to take it on a long ride. I guess after all the years that I have owned this car, the price I paid to have her fixed is ok. Joe on Long Island

Old 04-15-2007, 07:10 PM

Sounds exactly whats wrong with mine.......

Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM

Problem solved.