Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

A tad unusual

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
Default RE: A tad unusual

I previously worked for GM/Delphi before leaving foranon-Big 3automaker.
At GM/Delphi the almighty dollar was worshipped too much, sometimes at the cost of quality.

The Corvette program should be high enough priority for GM to never sacrifice cost for quality.
The Corvette is one ofGM's halo cars.

A mass production cast piston for an automaker is typically less than $15 each.
Sometimes substantially less.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:13 PM

Maybe because I run a business for a living and also "worship the almighty dollar" I just don't get it, but it absolutely amazes me that the whole world -- car mags, auto industry reviewers, and folks on this forum, can say "the ZO6 is a great bargain, you get so much for your money," and yet people still critisize GM for cutting costs: they want even more?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:28 PM

To my friend Mr.Willis.That Z06 you have;700+rwhp?????????? How fast is it?Holy cow!!! My car is still fairly stock and alot of fun,but damn! Yours just sounds insane.Is it street-legal(I bet it is)?I also like my Porsches as well,especially the 928,but that Vette must be one hell of a car.Hope you enjoy it often!! Your friend,Joe.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:05 PM

It is true that the Corvette has ALWAYS been one hell of a car for the price you pay.Now that is magnified with the Z06.Here we have a car that runs mid-11's in the quarter,can hit 60mph in 3.4 seconds(Car and Driver),hit an INDICATED 207mph(again,Car and Driver,I do believe),all for less than 100 large!A bargain??Yes,considering that if there has ever been a faster car than the Vette,ALL of them will cost more,and ALL of them will be more expensive to maintain.Can you imagine paying 6000 dollars to replace a clutch?24000 dollars for brake pads?(Ferrari Enzo owners can attest to the brake pad cost),over 2500 just for a damned tune-up?It just goes to show that no matter what the elitist Europeans think about their over-priced automobiles,deep down,I think they'd rather drive a Corvette every day.And that's one of the reasons why it so special.It's just,well,a Vette.The only sports car that matters.Your friend::: Joe

Old 02-02-2007, 02:23 PM

*mad applause* Great post, Joe!!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Joevetteman: I agree! Want a frightening additional statistic. A set of tires for the new Bugatti Vehyron cost $17,000 a set!More than $4,000 a tire?

As the my vette. It is completely streetable, all the original interior and options included AC and stereo. it has catalyticl converters and full exhaust. (You can see a picture in the gallery). Driveability, after gobs of tuning and fussing, is as good as stock, including a nice smooth if somewhat noiser that stock idle. Clutch (a Spec III racing clutch) is a bit tougher, but that's it, and the 345 drag radials can't go in rain. Otherwise it is a daily driver.

As to speed, how about this: it goes from 100 to 160 inthe sametime that my Porsche can go from 0 - 60.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Lee Willis

As to speed, how about this: it goes from 100 to 160 inthe sametime that my Porsche can go from 0 - 60.
You are gonna take me for a ride next time I go to CAM to get my car worked on right?

Matt

Old 02-02-2007, 10:59 PM

Hello again,guys(and gals,sorry).Did I mention that the great majority of these people with all the "fancy European sports cars" never really DRIVE them?Only for a "so-called Concours 'de Elegance" kind of crap?I figure that if these cars are that good(and,yes,most of them are),then why not drive and enjoy them on a regular basis???Any sports car is meant to be driven,not carried around in a trailer just to be shown!I realize many are priceless(some Vettes included),but the main idea is to drive and enjoy your car,isn't it?I sure do!I get stupid if I don't drive it!!!It's ok to preserve a pristine car,absolutely,but it has still that need to be DRIVEN and ENJOYED!!Do you agree?Hell,even if I had a '67 L88(I wish),I'd still take it out for a spin a lot more often than these clowns with their fancy Ferraris,Astons,Maseratis,well,guys,you get my idea.Right?God Bless you all.Your friend always,Joe!