Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Vette still dead

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Default Vette still dead

Vette still dead....ugh! I replaced the fuel pump and fuel sock with a higher performance pump from Ecklers. Still nothing. I used a little starter fluid and the engine tried to start. I even put in a new ignition module before trying the starter fluid. Any ideas. Could it be a fuel relay? Would the fuel relay keep it from getting any gas? The oil pressure is fine when cranking. Any help is greatly appreciate. My good weather driving days are coming to an end here in the Pacific Northwest.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Default RE: Vette still dead

Forgot to ask...Where is this fuel relay located? Thx

Old 08-22-2006, 12:56 AM

Yea man, like i said in your last post you should check that relay. You're like me, despite my own advice i still love to throw on parts. [sm=bangbang.gif] But anyways, the relay is located on the fire wall by the brake booster and wiper motor.

Are you sure the engine is not getting fuel? When you turn on the ignition, do you hear the fuel pump? If you use a needle, can you get fuel to squirt out at the schrader valve on the fuel rail? IF you had a fuel pressure gague that would be awesome.

The corvette has something called "limp home mode." If your relay has failed, the ECM will bypass it if it sees atleast 4psi of oil pressure. A lot of times you can tell if the relay has failed when you try to start the car, and it cranks for a long time then starts to fire. This because the ECM cant trigger the relay, but is waiting to see that oil pressure. So check out those questions and we can go on from there.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:14 PM

The Vette is alive and kicking again!! A couple rookie mistakes. When I installed the new fuel pump I did not realize I knocked the power wire loose. Therefore when it did not work I figured it was the spark and installed a new ignition module. I took the pump back out to check my installation and found the wire. I reconected the wire and re-installed the pump. Nothing!. Today when I went out to check the fuel relay I discovered my major blunder....I had not reconnected the HEI conectors. Still, I am very happy to have my Vette back on the road and now I know how to change a fuel pump in record time....Thanks Raisinbran!
I guess that's what happens when you work a 24-7 job. Need more vacation!!

Old 08-22-2006, 04:26 PM

ORIGINAL: 1fast86

The Vette is alive and kicking again!! A couple rookie mistakes. When I installed the new fuel pump I did not realize I knocked the power wire loose. Therefore when it did not work I figured it was the spark and installed a new ignition module. I took the pump back out to check my installation and found the wire. I reconected the wire and re-installed the pump. Nothing!. Today when I went out to check the fuel relay I discovered my major blunder....I had not reconnected the HEI conectors. Still, I am very happy to have my Vette back on the road and now I know how to change a fuel pump in record time....Thanks Raisinbran!
I guess that's what happens when you work a 24-7 job. Need more vacation!!
Awesome news! Here's an idea... take yer Vette on a vacation!!!! [8D]