Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Window won't stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Default Window won't stop

Need some quick help if possible. Working on a friend's 1985 C4 and I have the passenger door panel apart. Window rolls up and down fine, but when it reaches the top instead of it stopping (I would assume some kind of electrical contact would close and tell the motor to stop working... driver's side acts this way) Passenger side motor keeps going and starts making a sound of plastic gears jumping (I assume if this continues, some teeth will break off if they haven't already)

so I have the door panel mostly apart, I've done some searches here and learned how to get this inner panel piece out, so I'm headed there next and I'm praying to find a broken wire, or sensor or something to that effect. What would go bad that would cause the window not to stop when it reaches the top of its run?

Am I looking for something mechanical or electrical?

My mechanical ability is high, but its mostly with complete engine builds, or major electrical repairs.. Corvette doors seem to have me stumped..

Any quick help would be greatly appreciated..

Old 07-21-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: Window won't stop

ok. Update.. found the problem, one of the teeth (right where the window reaches the top of the track) on the window ribbon is missing so when it reaches that point it just starts skipping. Can I replace just the window ribbon? Perhaps by drilling out all of these rivots at the stops on one end or the other (already have the allen out at the top) and just put a fresh ribbon in it? Does someone have a suggestion on where to purchase the window ribbon if this is possible?

Also, I've read quite a bit on the upgrade to the 1986 1/2 and newer style scissor style window regulator. Does anyone have any suggestions on just doing the upgrade since I already have the door apart? I'm sure at some point, my friend will want to do the driver's door too....

What is the price of the ribbon, if it can be replaced, and which end do you remove it from? Do I need to drill all the rivots out of the motor to get it loose from the ribbon's guide track so I can take the ribbon out?

Thanks for the help in advance...

Old 07-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Window won't stop

You can do that, but the best thing to do is upgrade to 87 and up window regulator. Pretty straightforward upgrade, might have to drill a couple of holes in the bottom of the door, but, the upgrade is MUCH better setup. More solid and tight action. If you do a search in this forum, there are instructions on doing the upgrade. I did it on my 86 and it is working like clockwork. [8D]