Corvette C5 Forum 1997 through 2004

fog bulb and handling question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Default fog bulb and handling question

I just recently purchased my first vette and have 2 questions...

when reaching speeds of about 100 is the car supposed to begin to feel like its swaying? It has the Lingenfelter 373 package on it so there's much power up there I have yet to experience due to this unsteady feeling.

secondly...how the heck do you get to the fog light bulbs! I'm guessing something has to be removed! The manual refers to "side marker bulbs" but even the explanation for those is sketchy.

Thank you!

Old 06-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Default RE: fog bulb and handling question

Do you have wildly different types of tires on the front and rear?: If running slicks on the rear, or some types of drag radials, will definately cause a mild side to side at some speeds, particularly if not inflated correctly. If you are running really big rear tires (e.g., if your car also has the Lingenfelter mini-tub kit and suspension revisions so you can run 335 or 345 wide rear tires on12 or13 inch wide rims,you have to reduce tire pressure from the factory recommendations by about 25-30%, or you can get a slight instability at the rear which results in a twitchiness (side to side sway) particularly as you go over bumbs or indulcations in the road.

On the other hand I've got all that including 345 drag radials on the rear (21lbs pressure) and 285 BFG KDWs on the front, with the Ling. mini-tub kit and have had my car up to about 165 -- either steady or still hard acceleration I get no side to side - it begins to take some concetration to keep a steady tight track at that speed but the car feels steady.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Default RE: fog bulb and handling question

Yes I'd check cold tire pressure and if a shop near you has a nitrogen generator, get them filled with that for a much better ride. I'd also have it checked for alignment and wheel balance if it's just happening at higher speeds. A problem like that really points to those three things. Just the tire wear makes it worth checking with the cost of tires for these things. Nice thing about filling tires with nitrogen is the molecules are much bigger and won't leak out like regular air. I still check pressure but only have to have them topped off maybe one time every six months and the ride is much smoother, costs like $8 a tire but the place here offers lifetime refills if you do it.