Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Brake "Squeaks" Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Default Brake "Squeaks" Anyone?

As pathetic as it sounds- I do get my oil changes done at the dealership (Just love forking away $$ in labor costs). Nevertheless, I complained now for the third time about the SQUEAKS on my C6 Vette when I brake at LOW speeds. The service manager asked me "Have I washed the car?" - As astonished as I was... Grinned and said "YES." His last recommendation was to take it to a car wash and have them power wash the wheels. Ok... Done. Issues REMAINS.

He said that Chevrolet (as of May 2006) is "aware of certain 2006-2007 C6 Vettes having brake squeakissues when braking at low speeds" There is no fix at this time. For a car that cost me 50K+, and has under 4500miles on it (Brand new in October 2006)... Can anyone out there HELP me? Or help find a fix for this "TSB" (Technical Service Bulletin)

Thanks... Happy SAFE Driving.

Jay

Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 AM
Default RE: Brake "Squeaks" Anyone?

You could try different pads (say Hawk brand) and it might help. I haven't heard of the problem though.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:15 PM

heard of the problem and encountered it a few times. Mostly on the C-6's with the Z-51 suspension/brakes upgrade...assuming you have this(cross-drilled rotors). For a short time there were other pads offered, but then they stopped offering them due to performance issues. Thing is, they are "high performance" brake pads. The ones that were supposed to replace the factory ones added about 70ft or more from 120mph in tests....that is a bit of distance to add when slowing down from that speed IMO. In short, there is no "fix" from GM, and i wouldn't reccomend it anyway if they still did it. I understand how you feel, but would have to either say try to ignore it, or go aftermarket pads....as Lee said, Hawk is pretty decent. Best of luck!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:21 PM

Mine squeak too... The dealer says there is nothing they can do. A friend told me I need ceramic brakes... I'ma chick; makes sense to me! [8D]

Old 06-07-2007, 03:46 PM

My 06 brakessqueak like no other when coming to a stop below 10mph or pulling in the driveway. The car has 2500 mi and I have not taken it in yet, but by the sound of it I dont think it is worth taking it in anyway. Besides all I need is someone jumping in my car and taking it for a test run to check for a problem that happens below 10 mph.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM

After WEEKS of arguing. Apparently; Chevrolet has "admitted" to a defect within their brakes on 05-07 Vettes.

Get this... The "fix" should be absorbed at the owners COST. I have the TSB/Document, I will scan to a PDF. If you would like a copy of this, please PM me and I will get you a copy. Let's make a big enough of a deal for all of the Vette owners who experience this. There is no way I am paying for a "defect" to be fixed. I paid enough to my service manager to get a photocopy of the bulletin.

The fix is different Brake pads for FRONT/REAR. Applies to Z51 owners specifically; but reports have been noted on stock c6 platforms.

Jason

Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJay

After WEEKS of arguing. Apparently; Chevrolet has "admitted" to a defect within their brakes on 05-07 Vettes.

Get this... The "fix" should be absorbed at the owners COST. I have the TSB/Document, I will scan to a PDF. If you would like a copy of this, please PM me and I will get you a copy. Let's make a big enough of a deal for all of the Vette owners who experience this. There is no way I am paying for a "defect" to be fixed. I paid enough to my service manager to get a photocopy of the bulletin.

The fix is different Brake pads for FRONT/REAR. Applies to Z51 owners specifically; but reports have been noted on stock c6 platforms.

Jason
That is pretty weak; and people wonder why Toyota has passed GM as the biggest auto maker on the planet.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: BigJay

Jason
Double Post.[sm=lame.gif]