Corvette C6 Forum 2005+

Just got a 07 Corvette ... what are some good mods? any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Default RE: Just got a 07 Corvette ... what are some good mods? any advice?

ORIGINAL: gorichb

What's the reasoning behind the shorty's being smog legal but not the Long tubed headers?
Long tube headers (as opposed to short tube) putthe catalytic converters too far from the exhaust ports. The exhaust cools noticeably as it travels further and thus the cats work less efficiently.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Navy Flyboy

Gorichb, headers aren't too much trouble to install and uninstall so you could go get the test, pass, come home, put your headers on, love and enjoy them for a year or two(whatever the time is), take them off, go get tested, come home and put them back on. That way you get your headers and you get to drive your car
Not too much work, but such a hassle. It was so much easier way back when: inthe early 70s I had two '67 Austin Healeys, one that would pass inspection and the other than would not (no mufflers as such, too low, modified brakes, not DOT tires). The windshields on the big Healey were bolt on -- two bolts on each side and the whole frame and assembly thing came off the body. You guessed it: I just switched windshields after inspection each year.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Black07Z51

I just got a 2007 with the Z51 package for christmas.......I am already looking at putting a flowmaster 2 chamber exhaust on there since I loved the sound on my stang
First of all, welcome to the forum!! Second, you have to be the envy of most every kid your age on the planet. WOW, a brand new Vette for christmas.......I think I'm even a little jealous.

Anyway, I have to agree with PAY2PLAY when it comes to the Flowmaster exhaust. I absolutely couldn't agree with you more about that Flowmaster sound. I've had a ton of Camaros, Chevelles and Novas with nothing but Flowmaster mufflers. IMO that sounds is second to none, BUT.......when it comes to these cars, you aren't going to get that sound that you're looking for.

TRUST ME, right now I have a flowmaster catback system on mine with an X-Pipe and I can't stand the way it sounds. I actuallyjust got my CORSA Pace system last week and I can't wait to install it. Seriously check intothis before you commit to actually buying one. As mentioned, the Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow systems are some of the most popular, andfor a very good reason.

Old 12-21-2006, 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Black07Z51

damn 27 views, 6 hours and counting but no help .... no clue on differences since this is my first vet
Are there any controls on the steering wheel? If so, what are they? Thank you.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:30 PM

do I have to do anything extra to make the Z06 exhaust work with the car since it has the butterfly valves in it?

yes my friends have said everything from "you bastard" to "I'll stay sober so I can drive us back"

mine has the radio up, down, seek up, down and the paddle shifters on the steering wheel

BTW drove it the past couple days and it feels like you are trying to sit on the ground when climbing into it (I'm 6'1) but drives awesome

Old 12-27-2006, 10:39 AM

Now that would be a question for your local dealer. I'm not sure. Seems to me you might have to put a program into your computer to know to open the valves at like 3500. Just my thought though.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:29 PM

I can't recommend enough the Lingenfelter supercharger package for the C6. I know you said you don't want to spend much but I have to say that it's an absolute thrill to drive. A guy in a 2007 Z06 pulled up to me on the freeway a few weeks ago and his car simply could not keep up with mine. Scary fast and scary fun.

Old 12-27-2006, 08:50 PM

I agree: the Lingenfelter SC package is superb. I had it installed on the original engine in my vette and it gave nothing but super performance with no hassles for two years. Very good value for the money.

One thing: even with a SCr, you'll want long tube headers and a good cat back, so go ahead and put a good set on now. They don't cost that much and really wake up the car.