New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

1985 corvette wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 09:19 PM
Default 1985 corvette wont start.

I got a 1985 corvette that was sotting for 12 years. About a week ago, i took all the old gas out, put fresh gas and she started right up, no problems. The next day or two car sounded better and ran better. I drove it maybe 50 miles in the course of 2 days,

well 2 days ago I went to start it and the idle was terrible, car barley stayed running, changed the tps, now the car wont start, it started once while i pushed the throttle but ran terrible, now it shows no signs of starting.

today it had low spark so i changed the icm and the spark is a lot stronger now,
Ive got spark coming out all wires, plugs are good and i have 48psi to the rails, and i pulled spark plug number 1 and it had some fuel and wasnt burnt out. Im prob grabbing noid tool to check injectors, if That doesnt work, shes going to a shop but i wanna avoid that. Any help is appreciated thanks guys.

ps motor is the l98 and auto tranny

Old 09-05-2020, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
Don't know how you're checking the spark but remember that a weak ignition system will look good on an open spark plug but will not fire when it's under compression at a higher pressure. since you seem to have fuel and air then I would suspect something in the ignition system.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.
Don't know how you're checking the spark but remember that a weak ignition system will look good on an open spark plug but will not fire when it's under compression at a higher pressure. since you seem to have fuel and air then I would suspect something in the ignition system.

yea i am to i sprayed gas directly into it and still got zero response, the plugs caps n wires are 7-8 yrs old but it sat for 8 of those years just ran for 2 days so unsure if they have went bad but u see no corrosion and i changed the the icm in the distributor yesterday, unsure what else i should look at or do next.