Off Topic A place to boldy go off topic of Corvette's. almost anything goes!

Time to panic? Salt on our roads, I suspect....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Default Time to panic? Salt on our roads, I suspect....

This is going to seem like a very very stupid question, and by and large I'd probably agree with you....

The thing is, we don't get snow up here typically, so salt on the roads is a by-and-large a foreign concept to us Hosers on the West Coast. But, of late, I am sure they have been salting the roads. I have a white-ish film on the paint of the car, now. This makes me very unhappy and nervous.

Should I commence to panic here? What would you folks, who have more experience with inclement weather and the way that the city handles this, do in this situation?

Based on how our beautiful car was taken care of before we acquired it, I suspect this is the first time in this cars life it's seen this....

Yep, I'm panicing......

Old 01-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Default RE: Time to panic? Salt on our roads, I suspect....

Find a nice touch-free car wash with an under-carriage mode. I used them once a week or so to keep the salt at bay.

bill.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: wrwalke

Find a nice touch-free car wash with an under-carriage mode. I used them once a week or so to keep the salt at bay.

bill.

Bill, what a great idea!!! Thanks so much for posting this for me, I really appreciate it. Do you think that a good solid rinse from a system like that will be good enough? Thanks again, my friend...

Panic subsiding now....

Old 01-31-2007, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Well "Hoser" if you can just rinse it ...do it twice to be sure. the first may just spred it to all the cracks and crevases. good reason to panic. good luck.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 PM

ORIGINAL: blueshark

Well "Hoser" if you can just rinse it ...do it twice to be sure. the first may just spred it to all the cracks and crevases. good reason to panic. good luck.
Basically, I'm screwed.

Good idea, George... I just can't believe this. When I left this morning to come to work, I had no clue... when I got here, I noticed this strange white-ish type film on the car.... [:@]

Would anyone know if *maybe* it might be another type of thing, other than salt? I know... I'm in denial here......

Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

It could be a combo of road dirt, sanding residue (if they are sanding your roads) and yes, SALT!
Rinse, rinse, and rinse some more, at least 3 times a week. Also check your air cleaner more often!

Old 01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Face it...you're just going to have to scrap the car and buy another. LOl

Old 01-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

face it....you're just going to have to scrap the car and buy another and next time take better care of it man. LOL

It should wash right off and have no ill effects. you can stop biting your nails now.

Have a nice frosty Moosehead and cheer up...eh?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: C3 Starship

It could be a combo of road dirt, sanding residue (if they are sanding your roads) and yes, SALT!
Rinse, rinse, and rinse some more, at least 3 times a week. Also check your air cleaner more often!
*madly takes notes* Thanks, bro, sage advice!! I will follow it....

face it....you're just going to have to scrap the car and buy another and next time take better care of it man. LOL
Darn it! I KNEW IT!!

It should wash right off and have no ill effects. you can stop biting your nails now.
You were joking??

Uh-oh; I gotta go call the wrecker.. I hope they didn't put it through the squisher yet.....

I've seen some cars around here, that evidentally came from back east... the rust is the IMPORTANT bit holding the entire car together, from what I can see. I just don't want our Vette to become one of those...

Have a nice frosty Moosehead and cheer up...eh?
I can follow instructions!!!! Moosehead for everyone!!