Corvette C3 Forum 1968 through 1982

Soon to be new 1982 CE owner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bellworx
I've been working on it for a while. Just finally brought it home. I was posting on another Nova site. Posted tons of pics. I'll check out the sister forum for sure. I didn't know there was one here. Thanks for the heads up!
Spoke to my uncle today. He is getting some age on him and I can tell a difference in him. Sometimes he forgets things. Anyway he told me the guy before him had been been looking for some specific aftermarket intake. I am assuming the renegade intake for the crossfire motors. Anyway he ended up porting and polishing the stock intake. After some reading it appears that was the fatal flaw to the crossfire motors. I asked him if a cam was put in it. He couldn't remember. I wouldn't think intake work would make this much of a difference on these motors but who knows. Also the carbs were rebuilt and new injectors were also put in. I think I mentioned the trans was rebuilt also.

The motor has a nice lope to it and screams. I may have mentioned it really reminds me of the 383 in my 69 K10. I just don't see how the motor is stock other than the port job. Wish I had a better history on it. My uncle had it smogged and put a non op on it when he ended up having the infamous short. With that said I am going to change all fluids, wires and plugs just to be on the safe side. I'd like to see what the plugs look like.

As mentioned in another thread I should be getting the parts I ordered. I'm starting with a new headlight switch, battery junction block, ignition switch and a few other cosmetic pieces for the switch. After that I'll move onto the random wiring hanging down and loose wires here and there. I'll post pics of what things look like as I go.

A buddy at work gave me a nice car cover for it he was going to toss. Nice felt underneath and very thick. One thing I didn't have to buy that should last one cali summer 🤣.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:43 PM

As it stands this is the punch list of items that need attention:
1. Battery junction block wiring.
2. Ignition switch.
3. Headlight/wiper switch
4. Electric windows sound pretty rough when coming up and are slow.
5. Driver door won't lock and inner/outer handles are hard to open.
6. Random wires hanging down under the steering column. Some spliced horribly.
7. Heavy smell of gas from motor area when not running. I didn't find any leaks anywhere. My uncle mentioned he messed with the fuel canister at one point. Could be that, carbs or a leak I missed.
8. Gas gauge doesn't work. Reads full most of the time. Other times it bounces back and forth.
9. Brakes are a bit spongey.
10. Idle is very high.
11. Weatherstripping needs to be installed on doors, replaced on t-tops and rear hatchback.
12. Horn button is missing. That is going to be fun since it is a collectors edition. Along with that the steering wheel was swapped to black and was not installed on center.
13. Headlights won't raise.
14. Electric seats barely move.
15. Electric side view mirrors do not work.

I'm sure my list will grow lol.
Overall these items should be straight forward minus some wiring. Sky is the limit when it comes to that. I'm not a fan of installing weatherstripping but it has to be done. I could leave most of it and let it be but that's boring lol.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:40 PM

It sounds like most things just need to be taken apart and cleaned up and lubricated. I bet you have a bigger than stock cam. The crossfire motors never impressed me when they were new. Testing the gas gauge is relatively easy, just unplug it. If the gauge still reads full the wire has a bare spot that's grounded out. On my '73 the sending unit is on the bottom of the tank.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

The slow windows could either be a weak motor or a weak spring. The springs are cheap so I would replace them first and see if that helps. Also it could be as 74HARLEY said, lubrication.

Check the purge valve on top of the charcoal canister to see if one of the nipples might be cracked or broken or a hose is off or the valve itself may be cracked. That happened to mine and it allowed the canister to eventually fill with gasoline.

Old 06-05-2022, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 74HARLEY
It sounds like most things just need to be taken apart and cleaned up and lubricated. I bet you have a bigger than stock cam. The crossfire motors never impressed me when they were new. Testing the gas gauge is relatively easy, just unplug it. If the gauge still reads full the wire has a bare spot that's grounded out. On my '73 the sending unit is on the bottom of the tank.
Unplug it from behind the gauge? So remove the console cover the gauges are behind?

Old 06-05-2022, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark
The slow windows could either be a weak motor or a weak spring. The springs are cheap so I would replace them first and see if that helps. Also it could be as 74HARLEY said, lubrication.

Check the purge valve on top of the charcoal canister to see if one of the nipples might be cracked or broken or a hose is off or the valve itself may be cracked. That happened to mine and it allowed the canister to eventually fill with gasoline.
Good point about the canister. Again my uncle DID mess with that. I'll check that out. As far as the windows I'm sure they will need some lube either way. I don't mind replacing the motors but if it's just a spring that would be nice. After watching a few videos on them it sounds like it's going to be a tight work space lol.

Old 06-05-2022, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bellworx
After watching a few videos on them it sounds like it's going to be a tight work space lol.
I know. I found that out when I put power windows in mine. You may have to take the regulator out to replace the spring also.