Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Electrical Fire

Old 08-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Default Electrical Fire

I'm not quite sure how to start this post. I'm sorta numb from what I just found. This past Friday I took the wife out for lunch. After we ate I sat in the 90 roadster ideling while she ran into a store. While sitting there I noticed smoke coming from the passenger side wheel area. I pulled to car to an empty section on the parking lot and opened the hood. Smoke which was fading now was coming from the area of the lower radiator fan motor. I thought that maybe the motor just burnt out. She came out and we bolted home. The smoke and electrical smell faded. I posted a radiator fan motor thread here and thought I'd just research and replace the motor. Well tonight I jacked up the car thinking that I'd change the oil (another post) and start to pull the motor to replace it. What a surprise I found. First the motor shroud was missing the top two screws. No big deal I guess. I removed the canister for the ac and then went under the car. Tried to pull the wire off the motor only to find the plug with bare wires coming off of it. OMG!!!!! The more I traced the wires back the more I saw bare wires. Traced it back to a black replay (I think that's what it is) on the drivers side by the radiator (there's two). Then I check by the battery and a fused wire is burnt out going into a main harness. I'm like I had some sort of an electrical fire. The car didn't burn but now I'm done for the season. I'm confused as to why this happened. Recently I have had the following problems.

Car wouldn't start, starter would just click.
Replaced the starter.
Car wouldn't start, replaced the alternator.
Replaced the alternator a second time.
Found a fuseable wire shorted out and thought that this was the problem.

Anyways, I just needed to vent. I'm going to report the electrical fire tomorrow to both the Fire Department so it's recorded and the to the Insurance Company. I have the best coverage on the car so I hoping that they will cover the fire. Then I guess I need get some estimates to have it fixed. Checked online for a wiring harness and nothing is listed. The car does start and run. On the way home the tempreature did rise but I'm sure that's cause of the fan or fans not running. I hope all isn't lost, I've put alot of TLC and work into my first vette since I purchased it this past November. Iv'e even cleaned the interior with Q tips. Damn, the Corvette God hasn't been good to me.

One question. Does anyone think that maybe a radiator fan motor shorted out or is this the result of my continued issues?

I'll keep the Corvette Wave going from my Explorer ha ha. Thanks for letting me vent..... []

Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Default RE: Electrical Fire

Man, sorry for your loss[]

I had a problem with my 5.0L 'stang awhile back and my Lumina (all before I bought the Vette). Anyways, electrical things kept "shorting" out. I finally gave up and went to a dealership...

Turns out that it was field mice gnawing on the wires in tight/hidden spaces. I guess they like the taste. Even found a stash of corn/bird seed ect...inside the Lumina's sealed air filter housing.[:@]

Needless to say I went straight to Walmart, bought a case of Decon, laid out poison every 3 feet in my garage. Have not had a problem since then.

Just a thought. Sadly, it is too late to prevent damage to your baby. Maybe I should start a warning thread on this?

Anyways, you have my sympathies, my brother[X(][X(][X(]

Old 08-21-2006, 11:07 PM

Well I called the insurance company today to start that process. Looks like the car is covered. Just waiting for a call from an adjuster. I also contacted my local autobody shop to give them a heads up about the car coming. I'll have to flatbed her there. In the mean time she's getting an oil change and I'll do some of the little things to her that I've been putting off. This is my corvette wave for now. [sm=groupwave.gif]

Superdzzz, the thought of the critters crossed my mind. The previous owner stored her for who knows how long. I'm thinking of filing corvette abuse charges against him. Thanks

Old 08-24-2006, 01:46 AM

Just an update. The adjuster came by today and authorized my car to be flat bed towed to the autobody shop. He thinks that just the wiring harness needs to be replaced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I may have it back in time for the fall foliage rides.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:34 AM

sorry to hear about the fire. hope everything is good with you. it's a good chance it was critters.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:50 AM

MAN THAT SUCKS, HOW DID YOU MAKE OUT AND WHAT DID THEY FIND OUT[8D]

Old 08-25-2006, 11:51 AM

Sorry to hear of your damage. It is a good idea to always carry a halon/halotron fire extinguisher with you at all times. You probably will never need it but the one time you do its well worth it. Hope you can enjoy your car again soon.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:37 PM

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.Thank the Good Lord you and your wife were unhurt and that there may be a solution to your dilemma.I hope you can get your car repaired and road-worthy very soon.Don't worry,there's a lot of us who will save the wave while your baby is away!!!