Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

Horsepower Chip

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Default Horsepower Chip

I'm told that I have a chip to increase the horsepower to around 300hp in my corvette. Any thoughts as to where this would be loacted and how to identify it? I have a 1990 Roadster, L98-5.7 245hp. I've also recently been told after a tune up that I have a fuel pressure regulator as an add on too. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Old 04-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Default RE: Horsepower Chip

Sorry but you are not going to get 55 HP from a chip. If it is one of the Hypertech type chips, in other words, if it is a mass produced chip (like the kind I have in my 92 LT1) you MIGHT get 8-10 more HP but only at WOT. If it is a custom chip burned specifically for your tune then you might get at most 15 more HP. I am not positive but I think your ECM is under the dash (I believe passenger side) but if it is like my 92 then it is under the hood above the battery. Mine is in a black "cigar box" sized enclosure and the chip "piggy backs" into/on top of the stock chip. Later models ( I think starting in 96) did not use a chip at all - they use a PROM.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:43 AM

If you're talking about flywheel horsepower and not rear-wheel, a hypertech chip might give you 15-20 more horse power MAX. BUT, in terms of rear wheel horsepower the above post is probably correct, that you could only expect 8-10 rwhp. No chip will give you that type of hp increase to a stock motor. Also, I doubt the fuel pressure regulator does much good at all, if any. In general, most of the cheap bolt-on "performance" products that you can buy will NOT produce anywhere near the hp improvements they claim. If I may be so bold as to offer you some advice, if you would like to reach that 300hp mark, you should get some high flow mufflers, maybe a high flow catalytic converter if you can afford it, and a K&N air filter w/a air filter cover that has a bigger opening. Those should put you about where you're looking. (Also, any type of headers would help out)

Old 04-23-2006, 11:05 AM

If your 90 is anything like my 88 inside go to the passenger side under the dash. remove the panel from under there and look for a silver box about 6"x2" held in place with 2 10mm bolts. This is your ECM. Drop it down and there is a small access cover on the side. Open er up and there is your prom chip. There are two small levers on each end that when pushed at the same time releases and lifts the prom out of the ecm. On my 88 I have as SoonerMan said. Free flow exhaust front to back. K&N filter with open box cover. The small air foil in the throttle body, and an adjustable fuel regulator and other misc. The regulator will not improve performance but it will allow you to maintane proper fuel pressere to your rail. The factory ones are fine but if the spring weakens the pressure can change abit. I wouldn't put one on unless yu need to change the factory unit. . all help a little bit each. I recently installed the therm chip with a 160deg. stat. There is a deffinate noticable differance. Not night and day but deffinatly a a power increase. And as stated above only at WOT. Which is ok cause I don't need to make more HP to drive 70 down the highway. If every add on did what the manufatuer claimed you could get 700 HP and never turn a bolt. That's not gonna happen. The only things I had a noticable power increasewas, the exhaust and the chip.

For the record when I say"noticable", it's just that. Not gonna set the world on fire but noticable. I've done thing to bikes cars snowmobiles and all a guy can say is "I think it made a differance". If you have to think about it, it didn't do anything worth mentioning.

Sorry for the long reply,

good luck with yer 90!!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:23 AM

i have a 85 and your correct the ecm is up under the pass side i put chip in mine and like you said wot is the only was you notice the hp increase you no i didnt see you metion underdrive pullys i put them on mine and you can notice a differnce also probly added 7 to 10 hp not 20 to 30 like the manufactures say lol and my car does not over heat or did it effect the chargeing system and plus it only takes about 20 min to bolt on just thought i give you my imput