Corvette C4 Forum 1984 through 1996

popping noises in suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Default popping noises in suspension

I have a beautiful 90 corvette that I very very happy with. However I have to concerns with the car. First I have a major popping noise, sounding like it is coming for the left front suspension when I turn the wheel deep enough to park in either direction. It doesn't seem to be any binding, just a loud pop or several. Also, there seems to be more play than normal in the steering. Also, my car starts perfectly sometimes and other times the starter has to turn the motor for several seconds b4 the motor will fire. Any information or advice would be a appreciated!

Thanks
Jeff

Old 12-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Default RE: popping noises in suspension

I don't know about the popping noises, however my 89 vette is the same on the starting. I have learned that if you turn the ignition to the on positiion until the fuel pump quits buzzing then hit the starter it starts right away. Hope this helps!!!

Old 12-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: popping noises in suspension

The popping noise may be ball joints or control arm bushings. You need to take it t a front end shop so they can check it properly. Now the extended start time could be different things. Your car has a redundant power supply to the fuel pump. It has a fuel pump relay and a oil pressure fuel pump switch for a backup. If the fuel pump relay fails, the oil pressure switch is the backup, hence the extended crank times while waiting for oil pressure to build to activate the switch. Put a fuel pressure gauge on it to check fuel pressure when cranking to see if the pressure comes up in time with oil pressure coming up. Also, you might need a spark checker to check for spark during extended cranking. Check these two things first and let me know what you find. [8D]