New Member Area Introduce yourself and your Corvette here.

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Default Opinions

Hi folks.

I have the opportunity to buy a 93 ragtop with only 44K on it. It was in an accident and the front end damaged (suspension as well as body) but the entire front end was replaced. It looks great and drives just fine. The claim is there was no frame tweak.

The owner wants $16,000 for it which seems high to me (private party). It does need new weatherstripping around both windows (cracks & tears) but it doesn't seem to be leaking yet. And the "Service Ride Control" light is on.

I offered the guy high blue book and then some (I offered $15) but he is firm at 16K. My question is should I forget about this one and look for another? The low miles is a huge plus of course.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Default RE: Opinions

Oooo, that's always a tough question. I guess from where I sit on it, I have a follow-up question for you... is this an investment piece, or is this a day-to-day, I'm gonna love the poop outta this car as much as possible, type car?

If you are looking for investment, I might personally pass on a car that was hit like that. If it's just to enjoy day-to-day, then that's a whole 'nother story really.

From my experience, low mileage on Corvette's doesn't neccessarily mean good things. I have seen a few with low miles that needed a LOT of attention, and when we were shopping and found ours (which has about 100k miles on it) it was in pretty good shape overall...

Old 04-18-2007, 01:32 PM

My wife used to own a 62 'vette and she wants another "badly"

She currently drives a 2001 Camaro with 66K on it and I was thinking about replacing it with a 'vette. So this would be a daily commuter type car for her.

That's one reason the low miles appeals to me

Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: KenHorse

My wife used to own a 62 'vette and she wants another "badly"

She currently drives a 2001 Camaro with 66K on it and I was thinking about replacing it with a 'vette. So this would be a daily commuter type car for her.

That's one reason the low miles appeals to me
Have you had it inspected? If it comes back mechanically sound, you've probably got a good car there. Dave here on our forums always says, "It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it." If it seems like a good deal to you, and you are happy, I say go for it! We're not talking about buying and selling Toyota Corolla's here that are a dime a dozen.....

I'd really recommend having someone go over it pretty thoroughly, though...

Old 04-18-2007, 05:36 PM

Thanks to everyone for their VERY useful comments. I'll pass on the
one I was looking into based on your input.

Now one last question for now (maybe I'll have more later though!)

Every used 'vette I've test driven seems to feel "rattle-ly" (and do
rattle!) and "not overly solid" Sorry but that's the most succinct
way I can describe it :-). Ya know, some vehicles just feel solid
when you drive' em but the Corvettes I've driven don't.

I'm told this is typical for a Corvette and part of the "package".
Sound about right?

Old 04-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Absolutely. And completely. If you find a Corvette out there (C4) without squeaks and rattles, it needs help!!! Someone has removed the option from the car!!!

The squeaks and rattles in the C4 generation of Corvette's are part-and-parcel, my friend. At the time the car was designed, they were so far advanced, trying to do things that had not been done before, that these things sorta happened out the backend. Everyone talks about it in this generation of car.

I, personally, seek and destroy the ones that drive me batty; the other ones that are much more subtle I just ignore. It's kind of part of the whole Corvette experience. When you think of the time these cars were new, and what Porsche's and Ferarri's and BMW's were going for at the time, this car is a true piece of art. Our convertible roof, the cabling mechanism to release the roof is tired so to drop the top, I have to put on a pair of gloves and find/fiddle with a lever in the back section that's kinda difficult to get to. It takes me a couple minutes to get it all handled properly... people watching me must think I'm nuts... but, both my wife and I look at that sorta thing as part of the "mystique" of owning an "exotic" car. And make no mistake about it; these 'Vette's are exotics.

Any followup questions or thoughts are wholeheartedly welcome. Please feel free to post away, my friend! [8D]

Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to CF!
I bought my C3 for under 5g's and have put another 5 or so in it. Another 5 and the interior and paint will be done. That'll leave me with a C3 that has all new Auto-X suspension, a fresh 400 hp 454, new interior and paint. All for 15 g's.
Just food for thought.

And like T. S. says, that I say,it's only worth, what you're willing topay.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:42 AM

ORIGINAL: KenHorse

Thanks to everyone for their VERY useful comments. I'll pass on the
one I was looking into based on your input.

Now one last question for now (maybe I'll have more later though!)

Every used 'vette I've test driven seems to feel "rattle-ly" (and do
rattle!) and "not overly solid" Sorry but that's the most succinct
way I can describe it :-). Ya know, some vehicles just feel solid
when you drive' em but the Corvettes I've driven don't.

I'm told this is typical for a Corvette and part of the "package".
Sound about right?
My C5 has some rattles, I wouldn't worry about it to much.