Car Care Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here.

Do any of you wash your own cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:21 PM
Default RE: Do any of you wash your own cars?

I wash all my own vehicles by hand. I enjoy washing and waxing my motorcycles. The truck and car are a little bit of a headache but I still enjoy doing it on some level. I'm seriously considering having the corvette detailed. Just have to find someone around here that does a great job.

Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM

call me a freak but i only wash it once a year and thats when i put it away for the season, car has never seen rain, i dust it off before and after i drive it and also use detailing spray before and after, under the hood is all chrome to hard to clean the water spots if it gets wet.under carriage is also polished, mufflers, pipes control arms floor pans, you name it.lol

Old 04-03-2006, 06:08 PM

i wash my owne car. i would never wash my ride at the car wash.you never no what kind of soap they use.i only use meguiars products.ther are a lot of snake oil out there if you no what i mean,

[IMG]local://upfiles/1664/8F0E9C769A054CAE887501C0F9F283A6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2006, 12:01 AM

Yeah, Meguiars is what i use too. I have never let anyone else wash my car. When the people at my office building host car washes where all proceeds benefit the Childrens Hospitals of the Kings Daughters (CHKD), i pay them NOT to wash my car ... lol. I took it to one of those self service car wash's one time and immidiately after, i drove it back to my place and got all of my cleaning supplies ready and did it over. There is just nothing like a good car wash from the owner of the car because if you take it somewhere, the people dont really care, they just want to make their money and have that be the end of it. As you are the owner, you tend to look more at the small things. I myself jsut spent 4 hours detailing my car today and i dont even think i did everything i wanted to. Here is my order of washing,

1. Wash usually with Rain-X carwash gel
2. Rinse and then re-wash with plain water (no soap)
3. Dry with a regular linen towel... doesnt matter if you leave streaks
4. Go over the whole car with Eagle-1 Wipe and Shine polish. Apply with a Meguiars Microfiber towel.
5. Clean all the rims with the same carwash gel you used before then hand dry.
6. Use Meguiars Hot Foam tire foam and scrub with Meguiars Hard Bristle hand brush to applicate evenly.
7. Clean all windows thoroughly at least 2 times.
8. Armorall anything that isnt carpet in the interior.
9. Vacuum all of the carpets and seats.
10. Clean out the wheel wells with teflon cleaner to get the dirt off of the plastic.
11. Clean the engine up with Spimple Green Engine Degreaser.
12. (if im feeling sparky and it has been at least 6 months since the last time) wax with Meguiars Caranuba Wax.
13. Wipe the car off one last time with the Meguiars Microfiber towel.
14. Take the Targa top off and hit the Virginia Beach Strip!!!!

Thats my 2 cents.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:18 AM

REALLY,NO CRAP WHEN I GET DONE WASHING MY HONEY,MY ARMS HURT SO MUCH I DONT EVEN WANT TO PLESURE MY SELF LATER ON..LOL,,AND FOR CAR WASHES THY USE SOAP THAT STRIPS WAX OFF YOUR RIDE,PLUS IT COST LIKE 30.00 BUCKS TO WASH AT THE CAR WASH, EVERY WEEK THAT CAN ADD UP, AND THATS CAR PART FUND MONEY TO ME,

Old 10-22-2007, 07:25 PM

Hand wash in the shade soft rag bucket of plan old tap water and a little effert. NO soap of any kind j,ust water. Watched my father do it hiswhole life and his cars looked show room new. Heknew what he was doing. Only took me a new corvette and 45 years to figure it out!!!! Rember to use a different rag for the wheel wells and a soft sponge on the tires. Trust me, Good luck

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM

I always wash my own car! Letting someone else clean it is a sin. That is your time with your car. I like using the clay bar as a final detailer. It works great for me, and easy!